Friday, May 18, 2007

Life is but a dream...

Dreams are a funny thing. Most people have them, some don't. But when you say you don't have any dreams, that's actually not true. Many people have dreams, even if they don't remember having any. Either they were too tired to remember, or they weren't important enough, or maybe they just have trouble remembering while they are unconscious.

Many people have tried to study dreams, trying to figure out why we have them, what our brain is trying to tell us while we are asleep. Freud was the most famous person to ever try to interpret dreams. He was wrong most of the time, but that didn't stop him from being well known. People say that your dreams are your brains way of telling you what you need to do to get where you want to go in life. But what about those dreams that don't make any sense? What about nightmares? I'm not talking about those "My brother tried to kill me!" nightmares. I mean those ones that can't be explained. A nightmare where you wake up saying, "Quoi?" while you lay in bed, not even giving a second thought about what just scared the crap outta you in the dream world. Here's a good way of looking at things. The dream world is actually an alternate dimension, and when we fall asleep, we are temporarily transferring ourselves to another self and seeing things through their eyes. That's all well and good, but not exactly sound.

How about this for a fun theory? Your dreams are your mind's way of having fun! You lead a boring life, so your mind decides to have a little bit of fun while you're doing nothing. You're not going anywhere any time soon, so it sets up a little scenario for you to watch. It plugs in a "movie" as it were. Sometimes you have nightmares, that's because it felt like watching a scary movie. Sometimes, you are writing something or drawing a lot, like an art class or something, and you stop having these dreams. First, they start to dull down, not be very memorable, then they stop all together. It's because your brain is no longer bored. It's had its fill of excitement today, so it decides to sleep as well.

It's not a full "scientific" theory yet, but it's a start. Now if only someone would read this, then we'd be getting somewhere.

3 comments:

ginny1936 said...

Bolt, I have to agree with you on your theory about dreams. I for one have a lot of them. I can go a long time and not dream and them I start dreaming again. What do you have to say about dreams that you keep coming back to. I do that all the time. I've never figured out why I do this. One is about an old house that I have acquired and am going through. The other one I have quite regularly is that I am flying about. Just me with my arms spread out and staying high in the sky. If you have any thoughts on that please let me know. Grandma

road rager said...

you are right about those dreams somtimes I do forget when im unconcious.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bolt,

I really enjoyed reading your Random Thoughts posts. I find that they make me remember back to when all of us would be just sitting around talking about random things. We would talk about things like: The how and why of Black holes, inter-demensional time portals, religion & politics, and my favorite Nanotechnology. :-)

I would like to see what you have to say about people showing there fellow man a little kindness and understanding. That's one I would like to blog about someday. Who knows, maybe I will. :-)

I am proud of you and I can tell that you'll make a great writer someday.

Love you